Sometimes the website content is meant to be exclusive and you do not want every other person getting registered to your website. Invitation codes can be extremely useful in these circumstances.
WordPress by default does not have this feature but you can add this functionality to your registration forms using the Pie Register plugin.
What Pie Register Has to Offer for Invite Based Registrations?
Pie Register is a WordPress registration plugin that lets you build smart and secure registration forms, helping you keep your website content exclusive and spam-free.
The Invitation Codes feature of the plugin lowers the risk of spammers, bots, and fake registrations, and strengthens the site’s security since only users who receive an invitation code can register.
The key features include:
- Protect your site’s privacy and prevent unwanted registrations.
- Easily set multiple codes and invite codes.
- Auto-Generate codes. [Premium]
- Limit the code length. [Premium]
- Invite Through Email [Premium]
- Set expiry dates. [Premium]
- Filter search tags for invitation codes (used, unused, expired, date created and user role) [Premium]
- Export OR Bulk Export user data for invitation codes. [Premium]
- Assign a user role in Raw Codes. [Premium]
- Add invite code usage limit.
- Import invitation codes through CSV under Import/Export section. [Premium]
- Track users by Invitation Tracking Dashboard Widget.
- Specify the Invitation Codes from the Field settings to allow registration on a particular form through these codes only.
How to Use Invitation Codes Using Pie Register?
In this tutorial, we will explain how can you allow user registration by using the Invitation code features of Pie Register.
If you are new to Pie Register, you may want to take a look at How to create your first Registration Form using Pie Register.
1. Enable Invitation Codes
- First, we need to enable the invitation codes.
- In the dashboard’s menu, click on Pie Register > Invitation Codes
- Check Enable Invitation Codes checkbox to enable invitation-only registration.
- Click the Save Settings.
2. Create Invitation Codes
Raw Invitation Codes
Insert Codes: In this section, write down single or multiple invitation codes/s. Each code is supposed to be on a separate line with no special characters allowed.
Code Description: You can add a little detail about the code for future reference.
Assign User Role: Here you can select user roles based on your invitation codes. (For Premium Users)
Usage: Enter the number of times a single code can be used to register.
Expiry Date: If you are using the Premium version, you can set an expiry date for the code.
Click on the Add Code button to save the settings.
Auto-Generate Code (Premium)
If you want to create auto-generated codes, follow the steps mentioned below:
Go to the Auto Generate Codes tab.
Code Prefix: In this section, write down the code prefix. The prefix should contain a minimum of three characters.
Code Numbers: Define the desired number of codes you want to generate. The maximum length is 10.
Code Length: Here you can enter the length of the code. Code can be a minimum of 5 characters and a maximum of 10 characters long.
Code Description: You can add a short description about the code for future reference.
Usage section: Write the number of times a single code can be used to register.
Expiry Date: Set an expiry date for the code.
Click on the Add Code button to save the settings.
3. Invitation Through Email (Premium)
Go to the Invite through Email tab and fill in the following:
Registration Page: Choose a Registration page from the dropdown to redirect the users once they click on the invitational link in the email.
Select the Invitation Code.
Invite Users: Add email address/es to invite the users manually or simply attach a CSV file to import the email addresses.
Click on the Send Invitation.
In the Invite through Email tab, you can also customize the email template with a shortcode that is sent to the users for the invitation.
4. Add Invitation Code field to the Form
Next, we will add an Invitation Code field to the form.
Go to the sidebar, select Pie Register > Manage Forms. Here we will see a default form, we can edit or add new fields to the form.
From the right side, open Advanced Fields and click on the Invitation Code. We will see the field will be added to our form.
Click on the Save Settings button.
To change the properties of the Invitation Code field, we can click the Edit button on the left side of the field. Here we can change the label text, description and placeholder text, etc.
We can also specify the invitation codes in the Allowed Codes section to allow registration through these codes only. If left empty, all invitation codes would work.
By marking it required, we make it necessary for the user to fill in the field. To give a style, we can write a CSS class name. Here we can also write a validation message and choose options to show in the profile.
After we have done all the changes, we now have to click on the Save Settings button.
Managing Invitation Codes
We can manage the invitation code by using the Code table feature.
Go to Pie Register > Invitation Codes and scroll down to find the Code Table.
From the Code table, you can:
- You can see the list of all codes.
- You can delete, activate, or deactivate them.
- Here you can also edit the code name, description, and usage.
- Export or Bulk Export users data [Premium]
- Filter search tags for invitation codes including used, unused, expired, date created, and based on user-assigned role. [Premium]
When you click on the ‘Sent Through Email’, a pop-up appears. It displays:
- The email addresses the code has been sent to.
- The users who have registered using the code.
Invitation Tracking Board Widget
All the used codes can be tracked through the Invitation Tracking Board Widget on the Admin dashboard. It displays the number of users registered using a particular code at a quick glance.
Import Codes through CSV [Premium]
On the left sidebar, select Pie Register > Invitation Codes
Go to Invitation Codes
Click on Choose File (CSV or JSON format)
Click on Import
That’s it! We hope this article helped you learn how to use Invitation Codes with Pie Register. You can now create invitation codes, manage, share, and track them easily to keep your website exclusive and spam-free.
If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments or Contact Us. We love hearing from our valuable customers. 🙂