There are times when a site administrator might want to provide exclusive access to users. The good news is that it is possible through Invitation Only Registrations. WordPress doesn’t have this feature by default, whereas you can easily implement it using Pie Register plugin.
Invite codes play a significant role in lowering the risk of spammers, bots and fake registrations. Since only users who receive an invitation code are able to register.
The best way to allow user registration via invitation code is through a plugin. What better way to do it, then by installing the Pie Register plugin.
What Pie Register Plugin Has to Offer Now?
The two new features are: Raw Codes and Auto Generate Codes[PRO].
The key features consist of the following options:
Insert Codes: Adding single or multiple codes as required.
Usage: Allows to set a maximum count a code can be utilised.
Expiry Date: Allows to set an expiry date after which the code will not be usable. Available only in Pro version.
Auto Generate Codes [PRO]
The key features consist of the following options:
Code Prefix: Minimum of three characters are required for code prefix
Code Numbers: Allows to set the total number of codes that can be created. The maximum requirement is 10.
Usage: Allows to set the maximum number of times a code can be used to register.
Expiry Date: Allows to set the expiry date after which the code will not be usable.
Amazingly, in both features, leaving the ‘Usage’ and ‘Expiry Date’ options empty will lead to using the invitation codes infinitely without expiring.
Let us discuss how to allow user registration by using the new invitation code features.
1. Allow Registration for our WordPress site
First of all, we need to allow registration for our WordPress site.
- Login to the WordPress Admin Panel.
- On the left side, click
- Select General.
- In General, look for Membership and check the box beside ‘Anyone can register’.
2. Install the Pie Register Plugin
The next step is to install the Pie Register plugin.
- Go to the dashboard and select the Plugins section from the side menu.
- And click Add New
- Type Pie Register in the search bar. Find plugin Pie Register – Custom Registration Form and User Login WordPress Plugin.
- Click on Install And wait until the installation completes and Activate button appears.
- Click on Activate button to activate the plugin on the website.
3. Enable Invitation Codes
Now, we need to enable the invitation codes.
- In the dashboard’s menu, click on Pie Register > Invitation Codes.
- Check Enable Invitation Codes check box to enable invitation-only registration.
- Click the Save Settings
4. Create Raw Invitation Codes
- In the Insert Codes section, write down single or multiple invitation codes/s. Each code is supposed to be on a separate line with no special characters allowed.
- In the Usage section, enter the number of times a single code can be used to register.
- If you are using the PRO version, in the Expiry Date section, you can set an expiry date for the code.
- Click on Add Code button to save the settings.
If you want to create Auto-Generate Code[PRO] then follow the steps mentioned below:
5. Create Auto Generate Code [PRO]
- Go to Auto Generate Codes tab
- In the Code Prefix section, write down code prefix. The prefix should contain a minimum of three characters
- In the Code Numbers section, write the desired length code. The maximum length is 10
- In the Usage section, write the number of times a single code can be used to register
- In the Expiry Date section, set an expiry date for the code
- Click on Add Code button to save the settings
6. Add Invitation Code field to the Form
In this step, we will add an Invitation Code field to the form.
- Go to the sidebar, select Pie Register> Manage Forms. Here we will see a default form, we can edit or add new fields to the form.
- From the right side, open Advanced Fields and click on the Invitation Code. We will see the field will be added to our form.
- Click on Save Settings button
We can now drag and drop fields to change their position and add more fields by selecting them from the Default, Standard and Advanced Fields.
After this step, we have the Invitation Code field in our form, where the user enters the invitation code for registration. In order to change the properties of the Invitation Code field, we can click the Edit button on the left side of the field, change the label text, add description and placeholder text, etc. By marking it required, we make it necessary for the user to fill in the field. To give a style, we can write a CSS class name. Here we can also write a validation message and choose options to show in profile.
After we have done all the changes, we now have to click on the Save Settings button.
7. Insert the Form into our website
In this step, we will insert the form into our website so that it is visible to the users. Pie Register gives a shortcode for each form, we can easily use the shortcode to do the work.
- Go the sidebar, select Pie Register>>Manage Forms.
- Copy the shortcode of form, which we want to insert in the site.
- From the side menu, select Pages.
- Click on Add New to create a new page.
- Paste the shortcode
After this completing this step, we will be able to see the registration form on our site and users can use it to register using invitation code.
8. Managing Invitation Codes
We can manage the invitation code by using the Code table feature. Go to Pie Register>>Invitation Codes and scroll down to find Code Table.
From the Code table, we can see the added codes, we can now delete, activate, or deactivate them. Here we can also edit the code name and usage.
9. Import Codes through CSV [PRO]
With all its incredible functionalities, Pie Register also offers Import/Export feature to shift or duplicate WordPress site’s user and configuration data. You can even import/export the user data of only specific fields in a CSV or Excel format. This has made backing up or transferring data from one platform to another extremely easy.
Apart from importing All Settings, Email Templates or All User Data With Custom Fields, you can also import Invitation Codes.
Here’s how to import Invitation Codes through CSV:
- On the left side, select Pie Register > Invitation Codes.
- Go to Invitation Codes
- Click on Choose File (CSV or JSON format)
- Click on Import
So that’s how Pie Register allows us to create invitation codes, manage, share and track them easily. Invitation codes can be sent by us or other authorized members of our website to someone who wants to register and allows them to access and view the content within. This will limit WordPress access to invite based users only and protect the website from fake registrations, spammers and bots.
If you got stuck anywhere, do share your comments or contact us directly at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!