The registration form is a necessity for any website collecting user information and it is usually available for all users, but what if we want it to show up for selected users only? Or want to provide exclusive access to users with invitation code? WordPress doesn’t have this feature by default, whereas you can easily implement it using Pie Register plugin.
It’s a Free WordPress Registration Plugin to customize website registration forms with a drag & drop interface. Pie Register is enriched with exciting features and one of its features allows user registration with the invitation code, which basically helps us in allowing only the preferred users to register to our website. In this blog post, we will discuss how to create and manage an invitation code for user registration using the Pie Register plugin.
1. Allow Registration for our WordPress site
First of all, we need to allow registration for our WordPress site.
- Login to the WordPress Admin Panel.
- On the left side, click
- Select General.
- In General, look for Membership and check the box beside ‘Anyone can register’.
2. Install the Pie Register Plugin
The next step is to install the Pie Register plugin.
- Go to the dashboard and select the Plugins section from the side menu.
- And click Add New
- Type Pie Register in the search bar. Find plugin Pie Register – Custom Registration Form and User Login WordPress Plugin.
- Click on Install And wait until the installation completes and Activate button appears.
- Click on Activate button to activate the plugin on the website.
3. Enable Invitation Codes
Now, we need to enable the invitation codes.
- In the dashboard’s menu, click on Pie Register > Invitation Codes.
- Check Enable Invitation Codes check box to enable invitation-only registration.
- Click the Save Settings
4. Create Invitation Codes
- In the Insert Codes section write down invitation codes, no special character allowed and enter one code on each line.
- In the Usage, section add the number of times a code can be used to register.
- Click Add Code button
5. Add Invitation Code field to the Form
In this step, we will add an Invitation Code field to the form.
- Go to the sidebar, select Pie Register>>Manage Forms. Here we will see a default form, we can edit or add new fields to the form.
- From the right side, open Advanced Fields and click on the Invitation Code. We will see the field will be added to our form.
- Click on Save Settings button
We can now drag and drop fields to change their position and add more fields by selecting them from the Default, Standard and Advanced Fields.
After this step, we have the Invitation Code field in our form, where the user enters the invitation code for registration. In order to change the properties of the Invitation Code field, we can click the Edit button on the left side of the field, change the label text, add description and placeholder text, etc. By marking it required, we make it necessary for the user to fill in the field. To give a style, we can write a CSS class name. Here we can also write a validation message and choose options to show in profile.
After we have done all the changes, we now have to click on the Save Settings button.
6. Insert the Form into our website
In this step, we will insert the form into our website so that it is visible to the users. Pie Register gives a shortcode for each form, we can easily use the shortcode to do the work.
- Go the sidebar, select Pie Register>>Manage Forms.
- Copy the shortcode of form, which we want to insert in the site.
- From the side menu, select Pages.
- Click on Add New to create a new page.
- Paste the shortcode
After this completing this step, we will be able to see the registration form on our site and users can use it to register using invitation code.
7. Managing Invitation Codes
We can manage the invitation code by using the Code table feature. Go to Pie Register>>Invitation Codes and scroll down to find Code Table.
From the Code table, we can see the added codes, we can now delete, activate, or deactivate them. Here we can also edit the code name and usage.
Here is a quick video tutorial for the feature:
So that’s how Pie Register allows us to create invitation codes, manage, share and track them easily. Invitation codes can be sent by us or other authorized members of our website to someone who wants to register and allows them to access and view the content within. This will limit WordPress access to invite based users only and protect the website from fake registrations, spammers and bots.
If you got stuck anywhere, do share your comments or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!